Pennsylvania

 Top  Back to US RAT Site  RAT Sites    Back   Home    Weird Museums   The Underground Railroad

PA Just north of Carlisle Springs, Pennsylvania on Pa. Route 34. Historical marker at "Lee Farm" - site of the furtherest north the confederate army ever reached.

PA Scalles Warehouse Restaurant, just going east out of Carlisle on York Road (Pa. Route
74). PA
Not a biker bar, but an excellent place for "road food" and a beer:

PA An OCTOGONAL one-room schoolhouse just west of Valley Forge that's a few miles west after crossing the covered bridge in Valley Forge Park.

PA Centralia, PA (Coal mine has been burning under the town since 1961 )

PA Bird in Hand , Pa

PA Blue Ball, Pa

PA Boulder fields, Hickory Run State Park, PA  

PA Edge Weapon Museum, Kutztown, PA

PA Elfreth's Alley, the oldest continually occupied street in America, Philadelphia, PA

PA Dallas, PA.

PA Denver, PA

PA Dunkle Gulf Station, Bedford Pa. A great old gas station and a must find

PA Erros , Pa

PA Haag House, Shartlesville, Pa A great family style dinner place.

PA Harleysville, Pa.

PA Home of world's largest collection of Edsels, at Lemon Grove, Oxford PA.

PA Hopewell Furnace, Elverson, PA

PA Jayne Mansfield's Grave, Pen Argyl, PA

PA Intercourse , Pa

PA Mutter Museum ( Gallery of human skulls )Phila College of Physician, Phila, PA

PA The Roadkill Cafe is located in south-central PA near Warfordsburg.

PA S. S. Grand View Point Hotel, Bedford , Pa (17 miles west)

PA Stanley's Stag Bar, Reading Pa. Last remaining stage bar and a great old, little place fopr a cold one.  Has recently gone under some change as Stanley died and his son took over the bar and cleaned the place up, for the worse in the king's opinion

PA Swigart Antique Car Museum ( great) Huntington, PA

PA Tiny Church: Small chapel, about 10 by 12,Rt. 255 South in St. Mary's, PA,

PA The Coffee Pot, Bedford Pa. A must find!

PA The Shoe House, Hellam , PA.

PA The Round Barn, Cashtown, PA

PA The Harley Davidson plant, York, PA

PA Three Mile Island Nuclear Power Plant, Middletown, PA

PA The Montgomery Cemetery( a treasure trove of famous graves nearly in ruins),Norristown, PA

PA The Pagoda, Reading ,Pa Nice road leading up to the building and site of one of the first car hill climb races.

PA The Zippo Lighter Museum, Bradford, PA More Info

PA Virginville, Pa

PA World's Largest POT Hole, Archbald , PA

 Top  Back to US RAT Site  RAT Sites    Back   Home    Weird Museums 

Weird Museums

PA The Crayola Hall of Fame,Binney & Smith,1100 Church Lane P O box 431, Easton, PA

PA The Jimmy Stewart Museum is located next to the Courthouse on Philadelphia Street in Indiana, PA, his home town.

PA The Mary Merritt Doll Museum, R.D. 2 Douglasville, PA

PA, The Mutter Museum"A cheap way to get grossed out" S. 22nd Street Philadelphia, PA

PA The Peter J. Mc Govern Little League Museum, Williamsport, PA

PA The Toy Train Museum, Strasburg, PA

PA The Pennsylvania Lumber Museum, Rt. 6 between Coudersport and Galeton,  in Potter County,PA More Info

 

The Underground Railroad

 

PA F. Juliuws LeMoyne House, Washington, PA  More Info

PA John Brown House, Chambersburg, PA More Info

PA Bethel AME Zion Church, Reading PA.  More Info

PA Oakdale, Chadsford, PA  More Info

PA White Horse Farm, Phoenix ville, PA  More info

PA Johnson House, Philadelphia, PA.   More Info


More Info

 Top  Back to US RAT Site  RAT Sites    Back   Home    Weird Museums

Really excellent display of the life of the lumbermen, and later, the CCC guys who reforested what the lumbermen had cleared. Several restored steam engines, including a spectacular Shay. (Shays were the engines used to get in and out of the forest with the logs.) Open every day, $3 to get in. Nice place to stop and relax for a while.
Terry (ratatattat) Boots

 Top  Back to US RAT Site  RAT Sites    Back   Home    Weird Museums

The Zippo Lighter Company of Bradford, PA has a really excellent new museum / visitors center on Chestnut Street, Bradford, PA. The company provides a thorough history and makes it interesting as well. There is quite a bit of space devoted to WW II, since Zippo made its name for its reliability during the war. The factory repair shop is in the visitors center, and one can see lighters being repaired through a large glass wall. Some of the unrepairable lighters (went through a chipping machine, run over by train, chewed by cocker spaniel) are on display as well.

Case knives are also featured. There is an excellent gift shop, and plenty of level parking. When in town, have a beef on weck at Beefeaters or at the Downbeat in downtown Bradford. Take a pic of the working oil well in the McDonald's parking lot.

Nearby: Allegheny National Forest. Kinzua Bridge. Seneca-Iroquois Museum (Salamanca, NY).

Terry Boots

Zippo: www.zippo.com

 Top  Back to US RAT Site  RAT Sites    Back   Home    Weird Museums

 

The LeMoyne House, a National Historic Landmark, was built in 1812, and was a center of antislavery activity in southwestern Pennsylvania from the 1830s through the end of slavery. Dr. F. Julius LeMoyne (1798-1879), the son of a Parisian doctor who immigrated to the United States, was born in Washington and studied medicine at the Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia. In 1834, LeMoyne joined the Washington Anti-Slavery Society and was the organization's president from 1835 to 1837, after which he was commissioned by the American Anti-Slavery Society to be its regional agent. LeMoyne, along with his children and wife Madelaine, were active in the Underground Railroad. The tightly knit free black communities in southwest Pennsylvania helped slaves escape and developed an operational network that white antislavery activists, such as LeMoyne, joined. LeMoyne's correspondence from the 1840s includes letters from individuals asking for aid and thanking him for his assistance in getting them and their friends and relatives out of the South. In his activism and philosophy, LeMoyne represents the mainstream of antislavery activity in the United States before 1850 and is typical of the middle-class Americans of the antebellum period who became caught up in the antislavery debate.

The F. Julius LeMoyne House is located in Washington, Pennsylvania at 49 East Maiden Street. It is open to the public.

Top  Back to US RAT Site  RAT Sites    Back   Home    Weird Museums

 

John Brown (1800--1859) occupied an upstairs bedroom in this house in the summer of 1859, while he formulated his plan and secured weapons for his attack on the Federal arsenal at Harper's Ferry  on October 16, 1859. Because of his notoriety as an abolitionist and his Kansas escapades,   Brown assumed the name of Dr. Isaac Smith and claimed to be scouting the area as an iron mine developer. While in the town, Brown purchased tools from the Lemnos Edge Tool Works and other local businesses and stored them, as well as weapons, at the nearby Oak and Cauffman Warehouse on North Main Street. Brown transported these tools and weapons to his Harpers Ferry attack headquarters, the Kennedy Farm, located in Samples Manor, Maryland. Over his stay in Chambersburg, Brown was visited by several abolitionist leaders such as Fredrick Douglass,  Shields Green, J. Henry Kagi, and Francis Jackson Meriam. Residents of Chambersburg did not realize that Brown had resided in their midst until after the news of the rebellion at Harpers Ferry was in the newspapers.

The John Brown House is located at 225 East King Street in Chambersburg, Pennsylvania. It is open to the public.

Top  Back to US RAT Site  RAT Sites    Back   Home    Weird Museums

 

A pillar of Reading's black community for 160 years, the Bethel AME Church stands as a testament to the hard work and accomplishments of free African Americans during the era of slavery. Built in 1837, Bethel is the only AME church in Berks County that was constructed through the private resources of its congregation, many of whom were employed in Reading's iron industry. The four founding members of the church were Jacob Ross, George Dillen, Isaac Parker, and Samuel Murray, who was primarily responsible for the construction of the church. A local shoemaker, Murray owned 13 local properties and used them all as collateral to finance the church. He also obtained a licence to preach, and subsequently became the first pastor of Bethel AME Church. During the years leading up to the Civil War, the congregation of Bethel was active in the Underground Railroad and members often harbored fugitive slaves escaping northward. Jacob Ross, one of the founding members of the church, was himself a runaway slave from Virginia who had found support in the local black community and decided to settle in Reading. Today, Bethel AME serves not only as a place of worship, but also as a referral, social, and cultural center to the community.

Bethel AME Church is located in Reading, Pennsylvania at 119 North Tenth Street. It is open to the public.

Top  Back to US RAT Site  RAT Sites    Back   Home    Weird Museums

 

Oakdale was built in 1840 by Isaac and Dinah Mendenhall, two leading abolitionists who helped to form the Society of Progressive Friends at Longwood in 1853 as a result of Kennett Meeting's failure to respond to the abolition cause. Oakdale was the first stop north of the Delaware line on the Underground Railroad, often providing temporary shelter for fugitive southern slaves on their journey north. A distinct feature of Oakdale is a concealed square-shaped room, built in between a walk-in fireplace and the west wall of the carriage house and entered through a loft, that Isaac Mendenhall built for the escaping slaves. John G. Whittier, an antislavery activist, wrote to the Mendenhalls in 1881,"Whenever and wherever the cause of freedom needed aid and countenance you were sure to be found with the noble band of Chester County men and women to whose mental culture, moral stamina, and generous self-sacrifice I can bear emphatic testimony."

Oakdale is located in Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania on Hillendale Road, just southwest of the town. The property is a private residence and is not open to the public.

Top  Back to US RAT Site  RAT Sites    Back   Home    Weird Museums

 

White Horse Farm, built around 1770, was the lifetime home of politician and prominent abolitionist Elijah Pennypacker (1802-1888) and a depot on the Underground Railroad. In 1831 Pennypacker was elected to the House of Representatives and lobbied on the passage of bills concerning commerce, education, and transportation. In 1839, Pennypacker decided to end his political career in order to fully aid the antislavery cause. He became active in various antislavery societies, spoke widely against slavery and became one of most influential leaders of Pennsylvania's abolitionist cause. In 1840 he opened his home as a major stop on the Underground Railroad. Hundreds of fugitive slaves from three different routes, coming from neighboring counties and Delaware, were directed to White Horse Farm. Pennypacker personally transported slaves from his home to Norristown and other points to the north and east. No slaves were ever apprehended while in his care. John Greenleaf Whittier, another celebrated abolitionist, said of Pennypacker, "In mind, body, and brave championship of the cause of freedom, he was one of the most remarkable men I ever knew." After slavery ended, Pennypacker attempted to rejoin politics. As a member of the Prohibitionist Party, he unsuccessfully ran as state treasurer of Pennsylvania in 1875 which marked the end of his political career.

White Horse Farm is located in Schuylkill Township, Pennsylvania on Whitehorse Road. The property is a private residence and is not open to the public.

 

Top  Back to US RAT Site  RAT Sites    Back   Home    Weird Museums

 

The Johnson House, a National Historic Landmark, is significant for its role in the antislavery movement and the Underground Railroad. Philadelphia, especially the Germantown section of the city, was a center of the 19th-century American movement to abolish slavery, and the Johnson House is one of the key sites of that movement. Between 1770 and 1908, the house acted as the residence for five generations of the Johnson family. The third generation was active in the Underground Railroad during the 1850s. Along with their respective spouses, Rowland, Israel, Ellwood, Sarah, and Elizabeth Johnson were members of abolitionist groups such as the American Anti-Slavery Society and the Germantown Freedman's Aid Association. Through their associations with these abolitionist groups, the brothers and sisters became involved in the Underground Railroad and used their home, along with the nearby homes of relatives, to harbor fugitive slaves on their journeys to freedom. The Johnson House is a representative station on the Underground Railroad and the Johnsons among the leading abolitionists of their generation.

The Johnson House is located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania at 6306 Germantown Avenue. It is open to the public.

 

Top  Back to US RAT Site  RAT Sites    Back   Home    Weird Museums